St Jean Pied de Port

St Jean Pied de Port

The Route

The Route

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Via con Dios

April 6th 2010

Since I decided to go public with this blog I have gotten a serious case of writers block. I can't say I don't know what is causing this but I can say I have no clue as to how to over come it. For years I have had a fear of people reading what I write, this is becoming problomatic for someone who loves to write and wants to be a published writer. Add that to the fact that I am blogging about this trip and opened it up for everyone, family included, to see and you have my current predicament. Those of you who know me know my current career path is in the Heating and Air-conditioning field, I am an apprentice. Yes, yes I know Hvac and artist are polar opposites but hey what can I say, thank God I live with a gemini! Let's not get into my ever questionable career path just yet let's leave that for the Camino.

Let's talk about the questions that are floating in my mind. Kimberley keeps questioning her ability physically to finish this trek, note her most recent entry - Who dat? I have no question that Kimberley will accomplish this. But then I am not the one with the heel pain. So now my question is did we over do it yet again? Are we setting ourselves up for failure or simply doing yet another crazy thing that we can then add to the many we have done?

The Camino de Santiago is a trek about finding and discovering oneself. It is about challenging yourself both mentally, physically and spiritually, but it isn't however about enduring excruciating pain. I know that if the time came and she had to stop she would say that I could go on, but I don't want to go on without her. I want to finish this together as we started it. The one thing I have learned over the past 9 years is that, together we can accomplish anything! Even if it means taking 6,7 or 8 weeks to finish this trek we will walk together to Cabo Fisterra, known as the end of the world.

Let me back track for a moment. This trip came about after we went to 3 funerals last year, one to a man in his 50's who was my mentor at work and friend, another to a young man who was 30, and another man who was 46. The first man died waiting for his retirement to come. We would talk about it all the time when we worked together. I would say to him to do it now while you can and he would tell me he was waiting for retirement to do everything he loved. He died waiting for that time to come. The other two simply died way to young one after just getting with a man whom he loved and the other was there one moment and gone the next. So we both said we wouldn't wait for tomorrow because it may never come. Then came the question if you died tomorrow where would it be that you would have wanted to travel to?

That is how the trip started one question and a lot of time on our hands, no money but lots of time. When would this present itself again we asked ourselves?. Then we found out this year was a holy year for St. James, and that itself turned into a sign. So now we were booked on a flight to Paris for April 14th, and set to start out on the Camino on April 17th.

It was a done deal our first 40 days would be Spain and the second leg of our Journey would be Italy. About 2 weeks or so after the booked trip, came the injury to Kimberley's heel. We will leave out the details as to how it all came about, let's just say Wonder Woman doesn't know when to say when. I can't say for sure how Kimberley's heel will do, or my back for that matter, and for once I guess I am going to have to leave the rest to faith. So it will be our friends, family and even those of you whom we don't know reading along on this journey that will help us through the tough days and will rejoice with us on our good days.

Via con Dios mi amigos!- Viviana

I guess in the end the only way to overcome fear is to push Publish Post!

2 comments:

  1. Don't lose sight of the purpose of this trip. Success here is not solely defined by reaching St James. Remember it's the journey, not the destination, that matters. As far as I'm concerned you've already started your journey (beginning the day B passed away) and, from what I've read so far, your journey is well on its way to being a success. Re-read your blogs and you'll see what I mean ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at it this way, this is a Christian shrine. If you suffer on the pilgrimage, that earns you mondo points with the Saint.
    Back in real life, should the need arise, you can probably find/purchase an ideal walking stick on the pilgrim road. I mean, where better?

    ReplyDelete