St Jean Pied de Port

St Jean Pied de Port

The Route

The Route

Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday

I woke up rather early today and started thinking about our trip....that is not the strange part....the strange part is I was thinking about it with regards to it being "Good Friday". In fact I was thinking about today a week leading up. What is most strange is I can honestly say that over the years this particular time of year has not "spoken" to me. Other than being a holiday. But today has provoked many new/old feelings in me. I know this may sound odd but bare with me please. Being raised Catholic, not just Catholic but Roman Catholic, difference you ask? I was never sure as a child to tell you the truth, what did it matter? "Catholic" means "universal", Roman Catholic was termed (roughly) once Popes came into the picture and depending on what part of the world you come from, you either follow what the Pope has to say or not. This is very simplistic, and we all know there is nothing simple about religion. There is much, much more to it...to be honest this matters little to me. It is a waste of time for me to squabble over details of faith. All I know is that as a child I was incredibly moved by this one film that played every year, "Jesus of Nazareth". It is 6 hours and 22 minutes long! Here is the odd thing, I would watch it, the whole thing as a child. I would not want to miss a single minute. Every time I watched it I would cry uncontrollably. I felt such a pain, it was hard to describe. Please remember I was young but I truly thought this was the real deal. Negate the fact that the cast all had English accents and rather pale for that region of the world. When I think back and today as well what resonated most was that this man, Jesus, was willing to die for others. People he did not know. Whether you believe or not, that act of true altruism, amazed me. Who would do such a thing? Put in the context of today, I personally find it hard to imagine this ever happening. When I look around, sadly all I ever see is self-absorbed, entitlement jerks. Sure we have people who give money, sometimes time for charities, but to sacrifice your life, without a weapon in your hand....nope cannot see it happening.

So why now am I thinking about this day any different than I have over the last several years? Whether I like to admit it or not this trip has triggered many childhood memories surrounding my faith. I remember when every Friday you could not eat meat. Then it changed to just Good Friday since it was too inconvenient to do every week. Now with the health issues today they might want to add that one back...just a thought. I could add a few more "rules" and take away some to help out but I am kinda thinking they might not listen to me. Being who I am, not quite sure I have a voice....well that is a whole other kettle of fish....get it "fish", sorry still waking up! No doubt this journey will continue to bring up issues etc. I am looking forward to it. Bring it on!

I will end saying that today I will honour Good Friday, not because of the church but because that deep down I am still that little girl who is in ah and wonder that someone loved so much that they gave their life. Oh yes, I own the DVD of that movie now. I might attempt to watch it, dragging Viviana along for the ride.

Kimberley

2 comments:

  1. It's a great blog, lots of detail and visually very appealing. I love your pics of boot and puddy and I look forward to following your journey and seeing the pics. That map is amazing, it's going to be one incredible walk.
    Amazing how our childhood memories make such an impression us. Awaiting the next instalment. Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your insights & frank revelations, kind strangers. I will follow your travels religiously. As it were. Steve Alguire

    ReplyDelete